Tuesday

12BET EPL News Update 11/8

Richards vows to fight for his place 

Manchester City defender Micah Richards insists he will continue to battle for his England place.

 The versatile defender has reacted positively to being left out of Fabio Capello's squad for the friendlies with Spain and Sweden.
Richards has continually been overlooked by the Italian, making just one appearance since Capello took charge in 2008.

The 23-year-old became England's youngest-ever defender when Steve McClaren picked him as a 17-year-old in 2006 - but despite his excellent form for City this season, he is not in the reckoning with Liverpool's Glen Johnson and Kyle Walker of Spurs picked ahead of him.

"I must be doing something right," Richards admitted.
"In seasons gone by I have not been playing my best. Now I've started off well and we are top of the league.
"As I've said before, it's up to Capello. If he wants to give me a shout I am always there.
"I have improved, twice, three times since the first time I played for England.
"We have got a fantastic manager who has helped me so much. Even by giving me the captain's armband, it boosts my confidence.

"He just tells me to go out, enjoy it and express myself.
"I've still not been given a start under this England manager, so I've not been able to show what I can do.
"I know my form has to be right for City before he can pick me, but if he gives me my chance I am sure I can take it with both hands, just like I did before.

"To be fair when I first got called up I was playing centre-half for City.
"I then played right-back for England, so I can't really complain - it happens.
"Jones and Smalling have been doing well for Manchester United. If the manager wants to give them a chance it is up to him, there is no point in me moaning about it.
"I know what I've got to do - keep working hard - and that's what I'll do."- byhttp://www.premierleague.com




 

0 comments:

Post a Comment